This car is my 1977 Mercury Capri. It is not in good shape.

The idea is to put a 3.0litre SHO V6 out of a 1991 Taurus in this car. That involves making the fuel injection working, the cooling system and the electronic ignition. And the big one, making a Fwd engine work in a RWD car.

That requires an M5OD-R1 transmission from an '88-'11 Ford Ranger 2wd, the same vintage Mazda B2000, and '88-'95 Aero Stars. Its a small aluminum 5-speed over drive. Man pedal included.

The SHO engine made around 220 HP from the factory, so once the power steering, and air conditioning are taken off, this car will be no slouch. Removing those items will force me to use a shorter serpentine belt, and that combined with some pulleys i want to have made, will keep the belt from flying off at high RPM. Which is the only reason that the rev limiter is at 7000 rpm. Yamaha guaranteed the engine for 10,000 RPM.

Advertisement

I dont have any good shots of the donor SHO yet, but here is one on the same colour.

Advertisement

A bit of creative plumbing for the intake, probably into the highbeam headlight pots, will help with that as well.

The fuel system is something that will take some thought. The higher pressure needed for the EFI will mean an electric pump, either inline, or in the tank, and a regulator at the fuel rails. Not sure if i would need to use a fule cell or i can modify the stock Capri tank with some pieces from the Taurus tank.

Advertisement

I started the metal work last year before i left for school, but since i have switched programs, work will continue through the winter. The entire floor is basically gone from torque box to torque box, but i have rebuilt the drivers side with 1 1/2" steel square tubing and 16 guage plate for a subframe connector, new torque boxes and inner rocker panel. I haven't gotten to the passenger side yet.

Her is a photo dump of all the pictures i have of the Capri to date.

Advertisement

Advertisement

that is my new subframe connector.

Advertisement

Advertisement

I've since cleaned the garbage out of the car. Its previous owner was using it as a dumpster.

Advertisement

That is a crowbar holding the leaf spring in.

Advertisement

Much Rust. Very Rotten. Wow.

Advertisement

Work has begun. In my highschool auto shop.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

I dont have any pictures of the new subframe actually welded in the car, but I will get some next time I see the car.